Baby Swimming Teacher Certification and
Serenity Swim Program Licensing 2017
with Rob and/or Kathy McKay
Small group training
Lifestyle Swim School
Boca Raton, Florida
Raising the bar on teaching with kindness and joy
Rob and Kathy McKay have conducted baby swim teacher training workshops at their Boca Raton, Florida site with attendees from as far away as Japan, New Zealand, The Philippines, Scandinavia, Australia, South America, Singapore, Malaysia, India and Europe as well as from throughout the U.S. They have conducted workshops for countries, cities, private organizations as well as for individuals. In 2003 Rob presented a workshop in Uppsala, Sweden, sponsored by pediatrician Dr. Ludmilla Rosengen, and in 2004 Oslo, Norway.
Recently baby swim teacher workshops have been held in all corners of this wonderful water world from Wellington and Christchurch, New Zealand to Brighton, England to Krakow, Poland and in between.
2008 was an amazing year as we trained teachers here at our Boca Raton site from the United States, South Africa, The Philippines, Malaysia, Russia and Greece, as well as hosting visits from Swimming Hall of Fame award winners from Brazil and Tokyo. This group included swim school owners, people starting swim programs, doctors, psychologists, swimmers, swim coaches, child care specialists, and mommies. All sharing a love of water and children.
2009 was equally fulfilling with over 125 caring, gentle people participating in our workshops from all over the world.
2010 a very exciting year with baby swimming teacher training participants. Some were starting programs from scratch in their countries, while others were starting swim schools or adding baby swimming to their programs. They were setting up baby swim classes in medical facilities, health clubs, schools, back-yard pools, scuba centers, public and private facilities. Several were planning on building there own facilities. All of our trainees share a common bond of teaching children in a kind, playful and age and developmentally appropriate manner. Sharing the joy of the water and gradually teaching the safety skills at a child centered pace, based on readiness.
In 2012 we have had visitors and trained teachers here in Florida from Norway, Brazil, India, Beijing China, Duke University and Chicago, with more traveling from New Zealand, Japan, Shanghai China and the US .
If after reading this entire web site you feel that you are in tune with our gentle, “baby friendly” philosophy and you feel at home with the principles expressed below, you may be a candidate for our teacher training workshop. Teaching babies has an incredible impact on a young child’s life and is a great responsibility, the “whole child approach” requires individuals with special “sensitive traits”. It is not for everyone.
“The Lifestyle Swim School, in Boca Raton, Florida, U.S.A.,
has the world’s foremost infant/toddler learn-to-swim program.”
Ross Gage, Director Swim Australia
Rob training Nathalie from Water Planet Human Dolphin-Encounters Panama City Beach, Florida/Bimini Island Bahamas
If you are looking for baby swim teacher training or a registry of gentle mindful programs in your area, here is a link to our teacher training website:
Our workshops are for those high minded individuals who:
- Seek to create a warm and nurturing experience for young children that will help to shape their lives in a positive way.
- See the swimming experience as an avenue for guiding and inspiring growth on many levels, and not focusing solely on the fear of “not drowning” (see safety link Pool & Water Safety )
- Will only treat children with gentleness and awareness of their feelings, abilities and readiness.
- Would never use an accelerated agenda utilizing forced pre-mature and repeated submersions or unwilling coerced back float. (We welcome those who bring joy, not crying or fear). You must understand that this is not “survival backfloat swimming” or “drown proofing”. We are a holistic school, and while we do teach safety skills over time, we are a child centered, child paced (not fear based) as well as child friendly and family friendly. We are a happy place, filled with smiles not tears.
- Are in tune with and consciously become of aware of what the child is capable of, only seeking the highest good of each child
- See swimming as a road to celebrate life, each class being it’s own reward
- Come open and ready to learn from the babies and from us
Dear Rob and Kathy, I just wanted to let you know what a wonderful and informative week I spent with you at the Teacher’s workshop. First of all I was touched by your hospitality and your genuine interest in us as participants. I learned so much during our talks and lectures and it was great to put it all into practice during our daily swim sessions. It is obvious that your years of experience have allowed you to perfect your gentle loving approach to baby swim classes and I must say that your clients are blessed to be a part of your program. I am grateful to you for affording me the opportunity to benefit from your knowledge of children’s swimming. I also appreciate your continued support as I return to my own community to implement the ideals of the program. Sincerely, –Suzy (Atlanta)
Check out our new Teacher Training Website at: